Contributing to Realtek 8192 adapter / Realtek8192HostAP
GPL V2 (the current license used for all Caixa Mágica's internal projects)
Purpose of this project
The new Magalhães (Magalhães 2) have a new card developed by Realtek and this operates only in mode Managed Mode (client mode). The purpose the project will update the driver of that card in the sense that being able to support more operating modes. Now the board supports natively Managed Mode (client mode) and the development of this project may also start functioning in Access Point mode.
An Access Point is a device that makes all the network management. Maintains a list of member stations, gives the network name (SSID) defines political security, etc. Normally this device is connected by cable to another network, eg Internet. After sharing the network with member stations.
In the image several devices (Laptop, PC, Smatphone) are connected to the Access Point, since they are running in Managed mode (client mode).
The main objective of the project is to enable the Wireless card of Magalhães 2 also acts as Access Point mode. By operating as Access Point, will be interesting, other devices will be able to connect to the Magalhães (with and without security policies). Sharing network with these devices will also be a key point.
- Phase 1 - Domain of the topic
- Summary: Study of the theme networks (Linux, Access Point, Managed Mode). Installation and testing of the code already provided by Realtek
- Deadline: 26/July/2010
- Deliverable: Initial Presentation
- Phase 2 - Switch between AP and ST
- Summary: Ensure that switching between the AP and ST mode wireless the hardware continue to operate (with default properties)
- Deadline: 16/August/2010
- Deliverable: Script's
- Phase 3 - Ability to connect other computers
- Summary: Possibility of other computers can connect to the computer that is in AP mode, through the various security protocols (Open, WEP, WPA, etc)
- Deadline: 23/August/2010
- Deliverable: N/A
- Phase 4 - Patch hostapd version 0.6.10 to work with realtek rtl8192
- Summary: Remove hostapd 0.6.2 from system, patch hostapd version 0.6.10 to work with realtek rtl8192 and install in system
- Deadline: 30/August/2010
- Deliverable: Scripts & Patch
- Phase 5 - Stress test
- Summary: Test throughput of driver
- Deadline: 13/September/2010
- Deliverable: Charts
- Phase 6 - Final Presentation
- Summary: Prepare and demonstrate results
- Deadline: 17/September/2010
- Deliverable: Final Presentation
Risk Mitigation, Monitoring and Management Plan
The risks identified:
- Complexity of topic networks associated with development on Linux (this is the most important risk)
- Distance between the mentor and student, which could be remedied through chat's, email's
- Lack the theme compilation / installation of SRPM's (supported by mentor)
Caixa Mágica is one of the open source projects with most historical background in Portugal.
Born in a college environment at ISCTE in 2000, has been growing steadily for the last eight years, supported by a set of visions, mission and values and a strategy the help maintaining the focus on open source technologies.
In 2004, a spin-off company started, being held a strong relationship with ADETTI through a contract of shared development. The company Caixa Mágica Software had positive results in 2004 and has been growing 30% each year.
Today, Caixa Mágica has 15 to 20 collaborators distributed along three main areas:
Product: engineering team that develops the Linux Caixa Mágica distribution. Currently, about 900 units are sold each month, spread along online sales, store and special programs.
Outsourcing: projects that highly demand open source technologies and where our professionals are an added value.
Research: European and National projects that feed technology and competence to other business units. At the moment we have a cycle of three years from the initial research to product availability.
Added to the three main areas, Caixa Mágica has three more areas of smaller dimensions but growing: Training, Professional Services and Appliances.
José Carlos Medeiros de Campos
All my experience and professional technique, passing through faculty.
The knowledge of low-level programming was achieved through:
- Project's in faculty, developed in Assembly / C
- Professor Assistant on Computer Laboratory at the Faculty of Engineering, where I had the opportunity to learn to teach and develop my skills. The syllabus of this course is primarily for this topic as well as makefiles, svn, etc.
All my powers in networks and development for Linux, were obtained by attending certain courses. For Linux, I am user of that operating system since 2007.
Development process used
Motivation for the project
This project will give me the chance, to get first contact with the development of an open-source software profissonal. My big motivation in this project is being able to develop something for a systems created by a huge community, and thus can contribute to that same community. I hope with this, able to develop my technical skills and acquire new knowledge/experience.
- Contributing to Realtek 8192 adapter / Realtek8192HostAP
- How to install source code
- Switch between Access Point and Managed Mode
- Patch for hostapd version 0.6.10 (latest stable release)
- Throughput (with iTALC running)